Wednesday, March 16, 2016

#KhulKeKheloHoli Eco-friendly Holi




It is said that the hair should be oiled before leaving the house and playing with colors and so I too oiled my hair and made my kids do the same before they went to play with colors. It was the year 2014 and there was a water shortage too in our building due to which we had to use the well water only. I told my neighbors that instead of using the well water that is full of germs and the kids could get skin diseases had we to use that water. We all sat together and decided to have a no-water holi and all agreed to our decision.


At 8:30 a.m., I went down and saw that the building people had made all the preparations like colors filled in thalis and buckets too filled only with color. It was exciting to see their enthusiasm though we were not playing with a drop of water. I told them to fill balloons too only with color and we did the same and kept it in a small drum. The ladies got together and decided to make sweets and lassi and there was bhaang too available but it would not be served during the celebration so that kids cannot get to drink it.


The kids and other building people arrived in 45 minutes and we started throwing color on each other. We had fountain guns too filled only with color and it was fun to see all the clothes that were white were now red, green, orange and purple. The ladies played holi among themselves and we men got together and were having our own fun with the kids too. I made sure that the kids don't hurt each other with the balloons and they mainly only used the fountain gun to splash color on each other.


We all kept playing with color and drinking lassi to get more energy to play more. That day my father-in-law too had joined our celebration and he too started throwing color on us which made me even more happy. Holi is the best festival and though we celebrate it only for few hours, those few hours are remembered all our lives. We color each other which symbolizes that nobody is different and all are treated equally. It buries our anger and worries and makes us all come together and share few happy moments with each other.


I would like to wish all Blogadda members, a very happy and safe holi. Do save water and only use color to celebrate this festival.
 




I’m pledging to #KhulKeKheloHoli this year by sharing my Holi memories atBlogAdda in association with Parachute Advansed.

No comments:

Post a Comment